The University of Mushin was founded in 1990 and has provided qualitative and research-oriented education to Nigerians and all those who have entered its domain in search of knowledge. The University has built a legacy of excellence and has been instrumental in the production of top range graduates and academia who have had tremendous impact, directly or indirectly, on growth and development in Nigeria.
This campaign is run by the University Department of Computer Science and its to help upgrade the computer sceince from its current state to a world-class cutting edge computer sceince and artificial intelligent research center with more latest technological advancements to determine how computing will change over the next half-century.
The Department of Computer Science was established in 1990 to design and promote impactful research for national and continental needs. The computer technology acquired at the time have never been upgraded and has past its use by date. 50 computers stations are available to carter for a department of over 500 students with a class size of about 100.
The systems are slow and often shut down with several needing regular repairs. The system have no UPS so constant power failures brings them toa halt. Even, the available power is erratic and the school generating set is not always realiable with times of fuel scarcity and rationed usage system.
This campaign objective is to upgrade the curent lab into a cutting-edge computer sceince and artificial intelligent research center, which will comprises a multidisciplinary group of researchers conducting theoretical, experimental, and applied investigations of intelligent systems. The center will provide projects such as research in rational decision making, distributed systems of multiple agents, machine learning, reinforcement learning, cognitive modeling, game theory, natural language processing, machine perception, healthcare computing, and robotics.
Research in the Artificial Intelligence laboratory tends to be highly interdisciplinary, building on ideas from computer science, linguistics, psychology, economics, biology, controls, statistics, and philosophy. In pursuing this approach, laboratory faculty and students will work closely with colleagues throughout the University. This collaborative environment will lead to a valuable interchange of ideas within and across research groups. Raised funds will go towards providing the following items:
- 100 High-end computer hardware and Operating systems
- Suitable furniture and storage areas
- Fibre optic networks solution
- AI technology and Robotic Equipments
- Solar power technology
The department and school will be coordinated to ensure all parents, teachers, past and current students are mobilised to raise funds within their immediate communities. This sort of practical engagement will ensure early buy in from the community thus guaranteeing their support, cooperation and vigilance during the project execution phase all through to the decommissioning of the centre.
A technologically advanced workforce will lead to ICT growth in Nige ria, with the potential to improve military technology, telecommunications, media communications, and skilled ICT professionals who will be well equipped to solve IT problems in
Nigeria and other parts of the world. When governed and lead properly, integrating computer time into the classroom have been proven to have the following benefits:
- Students gain word processing skills when learning to type: skills they will need in college and the workplace.
- Working on computers fosters collaboration between studen ts and between the student and teacher as they work together on projects.
- Often leaders emerge who really enjoy computers and can help others, which is useful to classmates and the teacher.
- Computer time promotes using higher order thinking skills and is a natural form of discovery through trial and error.
- Computer time increases responsibility, independence and a sense of accomplishment.
- Computers can reinforce instruction or are an assistive tool in the instruction through podcasts, videoand multimedia.
However benefits of AI can be summarised as below:
Fund Raising Strategy
The fundraising strategy will be implemented on a community, state, national and international level to ensure exhaustive and aggressive funding approaches are adopted. Our passion for such an ambitious campaign is the will and knowledge that has come with the realization that our challenges can only be resolved by deep collaboration between all good meaning Nigerians both home and abroad. We hope to establish an international campaign with the right and consistent message on this vital challenge facing the future of our educational sector in our country. We know campaigns can be stressful. Prayer kee ps us positive, calls to mind the mission behind the funds, and reconciles misunderstandings. It overcomes fear in those who ask and softens the hearts of those who give. This is why we believe prayer is an integral part of success.
A few offline campaign activities will include:
- Lagos Got Talent – A 1 day recorded event where students from various departments will be given the opportunity to audition an act they have rehearsed.
- Talent Concert – A live concert at the national theatre where selected acts from each department will be showcased with other intuitive feature acts from the public.
- Music Concert – A 1 day live music of favourite Nigerian old, new and upcoming artist. This event will target a more matured audience with live request from leading and best Nigerian musicians.
- Football Competition – between selected schools and departments. Winner will play a Novelty campaign match with Selected National Football Team. A loved sport for every Nigerian.
We are a young dynamic team consisting of designers, engineers, and change-makers, intent on serving the world with accessible and valuable technology. We are passionate about our school and community and hope to use these platform to achieve a noteable successful campaign.
Risks & Challenges
There is always some risk and plenty of challenge to crowdfunding cutting edge technology. What we hope to do all through this journey is to remain open with our backers and provide realistic expectations when getting through to execution and logistics. Our estimated project execution timeline for the computer and AI lab upgrade will always be revised and communicatred to our backers and community. Any bumps or bruises along the path will also be commnicated with mitigations approaches provided.